One of my morning rituals is sipping on a cup of warm water with the fresh juice of a whole lemon or lime with either fresh ginger, a sprinkle of cayenne pepper or cinnamon. Warm lemon or lime water first thing in the morning before breakfast provides your body with antioxidants, electrolytes and rehydrates your body after a long night of sleep.
25 Healthy Reasons to Use Lemons and Limes
- Aids digestion Drink a cup of warm lemon or lime water before your meals to activate hydrochloric acid (HCL) and enzyme activity, alleviate heartburn and constipation, and create an alkaline environment.
- Lower the glycemic index of meals up to 30 percent: squeeze some fresh lime or lemon juice onto your fish, chicken, salad or veggies.
- Alkalizes your system versus an acidic one.
- Supportive and beneficial as a healthy and natural detox
- Enhances mineral absorption preventing your body from leeching calcium from bones
- Brain and nervous system health. Blend lime juice with your favorite grass-fed protein powder for a healthy cooler for the brain and nervous system.
- Strong antibacterial (destroys bacteria in the mouth and gut), antiseptic and antiviral properties, natural antibiotic and immune-boosting powers
- Natural breath freshener
- Clears up acne
- Excellent, all-natural cleanser: lemon juice, baking soda and water
- Flavor enhancer used on fish, poultry, salads, grilled veggies, avocado, juicing
- Full of bioflavonoid, antioxidant phytonutrients (Vitamin P)
- Healthy Hair – lemons and limes remove product buildup in hair. Great as a natural highlight enhancer
- Helps prevent heart disease
- Enhances nutrient absorption
- High nutrient value, full of antioxidants which help fight free-radical damage: vitamin B6, Vitamin C, iron and potassium and a very good source of dietary fiber. Lemons and limes also contain calcium, copper, folic acid, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus and zinc.
- Inhibits the growth of kidney stones and supports your kidneys
- Lemon or lime mixed with warm water and olive oil help dissolve gallstones
- Limonoids, the peeling of the lemons and limes, contain disease fighting compounds shown to induce cancer cell death particularly beneficial for protecting against cancers of the skin, breast, stomach, mouth, lung and colon. (Nutrition and Cancer, 2001).
- Promotes immunity, reduces mucus and helps fight cold, flu and infections
- Oxygenates the body and maximizes enzyme function
- Lemon juice has been known to relieve asthma
- Prevents calcium deposit build up in the arteries
Copyright © Paula Owens
- 20 Simple Detox Tips
- Boost Your Immune System Naturally
- Love Your Liver
- More detox tips can be found in my book, Fat Loss Revolution