Our environment is increasingly being bombarded by electromagnetic frequencies (EMFs) and electromagnetic pollution: radio frequency radiation (RFR), poor power quality (aka dirty electricity), low frequency electric and magnetic fields, and ground current.
“Dirty electricity can be used to describe electric power that has become corrupted by our use of modern appliances. Items such as compact fluorescent light bulbs, cell phone transmission antennas, power supplies for portable computers, cell phone chargers, dimmer switches, variable speed fans and many other electronic devices that require a transformer to convert the voltage will dirty the electricity that enters your home. This form of dirty electro-magnetic fields (EMF) is invisible to the eye, but has a biological effect on the human body and has been associated with a wide variety of illnesses.” ‒ Magda Havas, PhD, Associate Professor of Environmental & Resource Studies at Trent University
Dirty electricity, EMFs and electromagnetic pollution are major problems that affect everyone’s health. The damaging effects are cumulative.
Sources include: wireless internet routers in our homes, offices and schools, cell phones, smart meters, electric-powered exercise equipment, baby monitors, security systems, faulty wiring, airplanes, office equipment, microwave ovens, fluorescent and halogen lighting, CFL bulbs, and living close to electrical wires, power lines and cell phone towers. Dirty electricity flows along wires and can enter your home from neighbors through your electric panel.
EMF testing meters are available for rent that can measure EMFs in your home. Visit Antenna Search to see how many towers are within a 4 mile radius of your address.
EMFs are an invisible source of exogenous electrical currents and environmental and geopathic stress that enter our bodies and the bodies of animals, our pets, and plants altering normal function. High frequency voltage transients in electrical wiring have been linked to many modern health conditions, diseases and life-threatening health problems. People experience various symptoms and just assume that their symptoms are caused by a specific disease. They fail to look for environmental causes.
EMF contamination and cell phone radiation affects children more than adults. Toddlers, infants and unborn babies are especially vulnerable. With that in mind, pregnant women should limit their exposure to wireless radiation exposure, and it’s even smarter to limit exposure your child’s exposure to wireless devices too, including cell phones and tablets. (Not to mention the potential adverse effects of too much screen time on their sleep quality, attention spans, focus and cognitive development.)
Studies have shown that EMFs may be linked to birth defects, miscarriage, infertility, hypertension, migraines, ADHD/ADD, learning disabilities, diabetes, thyroid disorders, heart arrhythmias, tachycardia, Alzheimer’s disease, depression, suicide, leukemia, lymphoma, chronic fatigue, MS, brain and nervous system cancers, melanoma and breast cancer.
EMFs have also been associated with nausea, headaches, fatigue, anxiety, dizziness, mental confusion, memory loss, digestive problems, hair loss, insomnia, decreased testosterone and hormonal imbalances, itchy skin and skin rashes. We can only imagine the accumulative detriments of chronic cell phone exposure over time.
In humans, EMFs have been found to……
- affect and alter enzyme activity, DNA synthesis and cell division
- alter circadian rhythms
- affect the pineal and hypothalamus glands
- affect neurotransmitter production
- increase blood-brain barrier permeability aka leaky brain
- accelerate infections
- create artificial stress responses
- over-stimulate the immune system initially, then suppress it
- decrease T-lymphocyte production
- induce oxidative stress
- promote malignant tumor growth specifically concentrated in the central nervous system, the blood and skeletal systems, and in glandular tissue.
Protect Yourself & Your Family: Tips to Reduce EMF Exposure at Home, School and the Office
- Use cellphones as little as possible and only in speaker mode. Never hold it next to your ear.
- Never stash or carry your cell phone in your pocket, underneath your bra strap, on your hip or anywhere on your body. If you must carry it in your pocket, put it on airplane mode.
- Never set your laptop computer on your lap.
- If you live in close vicinity to or underneath electrical wires, power lines or cell phone towers, you may want to consider moving.
- Switch out compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs for incandescent light bulbs.
- Turn off Wi-Fi routers in your home, office and cell phone when not in use, and especially at night a few hours before bedtime.
- Consider replacing Wi-Fi routers with Ethernet cables for your computer.
- Never charge your cell phone in your bedroom while sleeping. Always charge it in a room other than your bedroom, preferably on airplane mode or better yet, turn it off at night.
- Avoid water beds with electrical heating systems, electric blankets and electric heating pads.
- Remove all electrical devices from your sleeping area. If you must use an electric alarm clock, keep it at least 5 feet away from your body when sleeping. Better yet, opt for a battery-operated alarm clock versus an electrical one.
- Move power strips at least 3 feet away from your feet.
- Switch to flat screen televisions and computer monitors as these give off far less EMFs than the older styles.
- Replace cordless phones with a corded phone.
- Avoid standing within 3-4 feet of microwave ovens when in use.
- Turn off (or unplug) lights, electrical devices and power bars when not in use.
- Replace all dimmer switches with simple on/off switches.
- Consider shielding devices to reduce EMFs from your cell phones, cordless phones and landline speaker phones.
- Repair faulty electrical wiring.
- Ask your electric utility provider to remove wireless smart meters and replace them with a wired smart meter. Make sure to opt out of smart meters and go back to the analog meters.
- Walk barefoot on the sand, beach, grass or dirt to connect with the earth’s natural electrical charge. This common practice known as earthing or grounding allows the healing negative ions from the ground to flow into our body, which is shown to reduce stress hormones and inflammation.
- Use 100% beeswax candles and Himalayan salt lamps in your home or office to absorb EMFs from the air. Himalayan salt lamps serve as natural room ionizers, emitting negative ions into the surrounding environment that effectively bind with all the excess positive ions, reducing EMFs, killing bacteria and purifying the air. Plus, they create a calm and relaxing ambiance.
Awareness is key. Educate yourself and your kids about the health risks of chronic cell phone use, EMFs and dirty electricity. Remove, protect and distance yourself as much as possible from EMF pollutants.
“EMF pollution may be the most significant form of pollution human activity has produced in this century and all the more dangerous because it is invisible and insensible." ‒ Andrew Weil, M.D.
As a holistic nutritionist and functional health practitioner with over 25 years of experience, my philosophy is to identify the root cause of any health complaints and underlying health issues, slowly "peel away the layers of the onion," and design a healing protocol and comprehensive LIFESTYLE plan specific to your unique biochemistry so you can heal, experience vibrant health, balanced hormones and look, think and feel better than ever for a lifetime. I consult with men and women around the world, all over the U.S. and with clients locally in the Phoenix area. Schedule a free 15-minute consultation!
Copyright © Paula Owens. All rights reserved.
Please note that all content on this blog is copyright © Paula Owens and may not be used, reproduced or copied without expressed written permission. You may cite with an author credit for personal use. Reproduction of any article found on Paula Owens’ blog may be shared and are permissible ONLY when instructions found at the bottom of this blog are followed. Thank you.
- Smart and Simple Detox Tips that are Safe Enough to do Everyday
- Heavy Metal Toxicity (part 1): Sources, Signs & Symptoms
- Heavy Metal Toxicity (part 2): Safe & Effective Methods to Detox Heavy Metals
Sources available upon request.